Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Maple Sweet Potato Hash

Most days I wake up and my first thought is food. Especially on days off. I like to sit back and think about all the wonderful things I can create in the kitchen. Some days that results in cooking everything in the house some days it is hours of recipe searching to find the perfect recipe to master.

More often than not though I am not focused on breakfast. I have never been one that has been too hip on the meal. I guess because most breakfast foods didn't appeal to me for a very long time. I never liked sugary breakfast cereals, or cereals at all for that matter they got soggy. You wouldn't see me request oatmeal or cream of wheat or grits if my life depended on it. ( Even though my years in the South that could be considered sacrilege.) I absolutely LOATHED pancakes and waffles and anything deemed syrup worthy. I guess it all comes down to my taste palate. I have and always will be a savory over sweet type of gal. 

But as I have grown up I have come to enjoy the things that I once opted out of, I have learned how to incorporate some of these dishes into my dietary arsenal. Why you may ask. Well for one thing, one of the best parts about cooking for me is sharing it with those I love. The people I love, love pancakes and cinnamon rolls and other breakfast treats. Another thing, I couldn't stand not cooking something or having a recipe for something as simple as a pancake. So even though I will still choose a bagel and cream cheese over a stack o' cakes I have still learned some things breakfast wise that I keep on hand. 

(Also I guess it's not completely awful to not love all these really bad for you breakfast items, but it sure does make mornings awkward when someone has taken the time to prepare for you a breakfast made with love and you deny it.) 

Anyways this dish would be perfect for any meal, I opted to make it a breakfast because when I woke up the other day I had all the ingredients on hand and decided to start my day with it. It is the perfect combination of savory and sweet so a win win in my book. I found it the other day on Iowagirleats.com under her favorite Fall recipes and had to try it. Especially given that my roommate is the biggest sweet potato eater I have ever met I knew it would be good for both of us. 

Maple Sweet Potato Hash
Serves: 2
Cook Time: 20 minutes

1 sweet potato (cubed into bite sized pieces)
1/4 onion (chopped)
1/4 lb breakfast sausage ( I used maple flavored Jimmy Dean's, any flavor will work)
1/2 T. butter
salt and pepper to season
1 -2 tsp. maple syrup
2 eggs (optional)








The first thing you want to do is wash and slice you sweet potato. ( I had at first planned on using two but decided I only needed one.)





Next you want to cube the sweet potato into bite sized pieces. 














(Ignore the cruddy picture quality.)

You then want to boil your potatoes for about four minutes just to make them a bit tender. Strain them and set them aside. 













Cook your sausage in a pan and break into small chunks. I always buy a chub of sausage but you can use links. You only need about a 1/4 of a lb. for a two serving recipe so a quarter of a chub. 










After you cook the sausage make sure you set it aside on a paper towel to drain off the excess fat. 











In the same pan that you cooked the sausage in add your 1/2 T. of butter. (In the Iowa girl eats version she also used 1/2 T. of oil but I wanted to lighten this just a little and noticed that I had plenty of leftover grease from the sausage to use as cooking fats for the potatoes and onions but do what you would like here. I just hate using extra dishes in the kitchen!) Add in your potatoes and chopped onion and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook about 5-7 minutes.






Next add in your sausage and if you want to ( like I did) scoop out a hole in the center and crack a couple of eggs in there. Cover and cook until the eggs are done to your liking. Drizzle on a little bit of maple syrup on the potato, sausage and onion mixture and let it cook in for about another 2 minutes and serve hot! 










This is a quick and easy indulgent and hearty anytime meal. It is packed with protein and carbs so a great post workout meal with just enough sweetness to make ya smile. While I wouldn't recommend eating it often because it is high in fats and sugars it is a simple wow your guests or family meal. 

As always enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment